Rainier School District Equity Decision Making Tool
Part I: Individual or Decision Making Team
- Who is making the decision (individual or group) and what is the cultural make-up of the individual or group?
- What dimensions of cultural diversity (gender, race, class, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, immigrant status, etc) are represented as part of this decision making team?
- What dimensions of cultural diversity (gender, race, class, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, immigrant status, etc) are not represented as part of this decision making team?
- Based on the cultural make-up of the decision making team or individual, what inherent biases should be considered?
- Is there representation on the decision making team or the individual of the institution's authority(ies)?
Part II: Stakeholder Impact
- What is the cultural make-up of the individual or group who will be impacted by decision making?
- Is there an existing cultural disparity that is attempting to be addressed (include the data source where that information was obtained)?
- What are the dimensions of cultural diversity of the impacted group?
- What are the disparities between the decision making group or individual and the stakeholder group to be impacted by the decision?
- Is the impacted stakeholder group involved in the decision making process (if yes, include method of involvement)?
Part III: Impact of Decision
- How will the decision of the individual or team advance equity in the system as a whole?
- What evaluation tool will be used to measure the impact of this decision (include tool name or link)?
- In what ways could the decision have a baseline or negative impact on equity (cons of decision)?
- What resources are necessary to make this an equitable decision?
- What are the potential challenges, structural barriers, or unexpected blind spots?
Part IV: Reflection (To be completed after decision has been implemented)
- Did the decision succeed in advancing equity within the system (including to what extent and what evaluation tools were used to measure the level of success)?
- If the decision did not advance equity, what steps will be taken to work towards a more equitable result?
- What additional stakeholders provided unexpected assistance in this decision?
- Were there unintended consequences, positive or negative, that resulted from the decision?
- Did the individual or team seek feedback from their stakeholders?