The success in this course depends on all of us meeting our responsibilities. This requires a partnership including the student, the teacher, and the parents/guardians. (The AIR portion doesn't apply to CWU 101 and 102 courses as the course is rigorous enough.)
As a student enrolled in Mr. Grizzle's English class, I agree to:
- Complete all reading and writing assignments by the assigned due dates.
- Assure that assignments represent my best effort.
- Participate in class discussion as both an active listener and speaker.
- Respect a variety of points of view.
- Ask for help when I need assistance on understanding assignments or successfully completing them.
- Be respectful to others and myself.
- Read an outside reading book checked out from the library for Accountable Independent Reading for a minimum of 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week (100 minutes a week). I understand that this cannot be a book I’ve read before.
- Abide by the Rainier academic integrity policy and avoid academic dishonesty of any kind.
As the teacher, I agree to:
- Provide a curriculum that challenges students’ ability to read, write, and think critically.
- Provide a variety of reading and writing assignments that will help prepare students for life post-high school.
- Evaluate student writing with specific scoring scales and provide opportunities for individual conferencing.
- Conduct class discussions that require students moving to higher level thinking skills.
- Treat students fairly.
- Be available before and after class for students who need additional help working with assignments.
- Help students develop the ability to think critically and be prepared for the challenges of an ever-changing society.