• Earning a High School Diploma at Rainier High School

    Our state graduation requirements are designed to ensure students have a solid foundation of reading, writing, math, and science skills, no matter the path they choose after high school. We encourage families to meet regularly with their school counselor to ensure their student is on track for graduation. 

    • All students must earn credit in Algebra 1 and Geometry. The third credit of math and science are determined by the student’s HSBP, and approved by the parent/guardian. Students must have 2.0 credits of science that include lab. If HSBP includes college, students must take a quantitative math or science senior year.  If the parent does not indicate a preference, the school counselor or principal may approve the student’s choice (WAC 180-51-068).  
    • 1.0 credit of art may be substituted with any other elective course based on the student’s HSBP, but 2.0 credits are required for college.
    • World Language credits may be substituted with any other elective course based on the student’s HSBP, but 2.0 credits are required for college.
    • .5 PE credits can be waived for extracurricular physical activity and then replaced with a course in another area.

  • What is a High School and Beyond Plan?

    The requirements of the High School and Beyond Plan are described in RCW 28A.230.090 and in WAC 180-51-220.  Decisions about whether a student has met the requirements for the High School and Beyond Plan are made locally per RCW 28A.230.080. The HSBP helps to bridge the other two components of the Washington diploma: it helps to guide selection of the individual student’s courses and graduation pathway option, based on the career and education goals identified in the individual student’s plan. 

    • Identification of career goals aided by a skills and interest assessment.
    • Identification of educational goals.
    • A four-year plan for courses taken in high school that satisfies state and local graduation requirements and aligns with students' secondary and postsecondary goals that may include education, training, and careers.
    • Options for satisfying state and local graduation requirements, taking into account academic acceleration (RCW 28A.320.195), dual credit courses, Career and Technical Education programs, and graduation pathway options. 
    • Resume or activity log, that includes the student’s education, work experience, community service, including how districts recognize community service (RCW 28A.320.193)
    • Evidence that the student has received information on federal and state financial aid programs that help pay for postsecondary programs, including evidence that the student has received the following information:
      • Documentation necessary for completing financial aid applications, information provided on the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) website about the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and WASFA (Washington Application for State Financial Aid)
      • Application timeliness and submission deadlines, and the importance of submitting applications early
      • Information specific to students: 1.) who have been in foster care, 2.) who are, or are at risk of, being homeless, or 3.) whose family member or guardians will be required to provide financial and tax information necessary to complete applications
      • Opportunities to participate in sessions that assist students and, when necessary, their family members or guardians, in filling out financial aid applications. 
      • Information on the College Bound Scholarship application and eligibility
      • If a student completes a Career and Technical Education (CTE) equivalency course that is transcribed as a core subject area course to meet graduation requirements (RCW 28A.230.097), then a record showing that the CTE course was used to meet a core course must be retained in the student's high school and beyond plan. This record may be useful if the student pursues education, training, or a career in the same or related field as the CTE course.

    What State Assessment in ELA and Math do I need?

    Beginning with the Class of 2020, students must meet at least one of these pathway options to graduate: 

    1. State Assessment: Meet or exceed the graduation scores in the Smarter Balanced Assessments (SBA) in English language arts (ELA) and mathematics or in WA-AIM (Washington Access to Instruction & Measurement). 
    2. Dual Credit: Earn at least one high school credit in ELA and at least one high school credit in math in dual credit courses (Running Start, College in the High School, and/or Career and Technical Education dual credit courses). 
    3. AP/IB/Cambridge: For both ELA and math, earn a 3 or higher on certain Advanced Placement (AP) exams or a 4 or higher on certain International Baccalaureate (IB) exams or an E on certain Cambridge International exams, or pass the course with at least a C+.
    4. SAT/ACT: Meet or exceed the graduation scores set by SBE in the math and ELA portions of the SAT or ACT.
    5. Transition Course: Pass a transition course in ELA and math (for example, a Bridge to College course) which allows a student to place directly into a credit-bearing college level course.
    6. Combination: Meet any combination of at least one ELA and one math option of those options listed in 1-5.
    7. ASVAB: Meet standard on the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) by scoring at least the minimum established by the military for eligibility to serve in a branch of the armed services.*
    8. CTE Sequence: Complete 2.0 credits in a sequence of Career and Technical Education (CTE) courses and receive an Industry Recognized Credential (IRC).* 

    *Note: Students who pursue these pathways (ASVAB or CTE) do not need to meet English and math requirements separately. English and math content are embedded in both pathways—and a student who meets either the ASVAB standard or the CTE pathway requirements has met the graduation pathway requirement. 

    For more information on state or district graduation requirements, speak to your school counselor and visit: https://www.sbe.wa.gov/our-work/graduation-pathway-options 

  • What about Service Hours?

    Our students are expected to earn 100 hours during their 4 years at Rainier High School, 25 hours each year. Service hours are reported on transcripts as a P or F depending on completion and students can receive .5 credits each year. 25 hours of service (at least 5 with a non-profit) are required during senior year in order to participate in graduation.

    More detailed information about service hours can be found here.